National Training Workshop On: Paleoclimate- Archives, Proxies and Analysis/ Measurement Techniques (NT-PALEO 2023)
राष्ट्रीय प्रशिक्षण कार्यशाला: पेलियोक्लाइमेट अभिलेखागार-प्रॉक्सी और विश्लेषण/माप तकनीक
Organized By Development of Skilled Manpower (DESK), MoES, IITM Pune
Date: 16 - 20 January 2023
Venue: IITM, Pune
Application closing date: 10th Dec, 2022
Participation: Final year Masters Students and early years (up to 2nd year) of PhD
Application Link: https://iitmjobs.tropmet.res.in/job/workshop-nt-paleo-2023.php
SCOPE AND OBJECTIVE OF THE WORKSHOP
The need and potential to study the climatic changes witnessed in the Indian subcontinent over the Quaternary period is known, understood and felt by common man, scientists/researchers and the government. The workshop will address the full array of paleoclimate research key to the broader scientific questions related to climatic changes during the Quaternary period. Recognizing that the physical, chemical and geological processes governing the Quaternary time frame are highly interconnected, the workshop will address advanced observational techniques, proxies, dating methods, and statistical tools. This workshop will give a hands on training along with the lectures from experts. Lectures will be on stable isotopes, dating methods, biomarkers, paleobiology, dendroclimatology, speleothem, environmental magnetism, pollens, and statistical methods & software/model packages. The workshop will also address the emerging areas and scope for future aspects.
The training workshop aims to build a pool of talented and trained young researchers in the field of Paleoclimate for the development and progress of paleoclimate research in India. The broad objective of the workshop is to assemble leading experts in the paleoclimate field and arrange an interaction with young students pursuing their master’s or Ph.D. It will provide a forum to discuss scientific issues and advancements related to Quaternary research. The ultimate aim is to transfer the knowledge to young students to ascent the Quaternary research in India. The workshop would involve leading scientists/experts from IITM, IIT-Bombay, PRL, IISER, Agharkar Research Institute, SPPU, Pune, National Centre for Earth Science Studies, Thiruvananthapuram, and National centre for ocean and Polar Research, Goa, Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeociences (BSIP), Lucknow, and the Cluster University of Jammu.
THEMES AND TOPICS
This workshop would focus on key and emerging topics regarding physical, chemical, and geological processes governing the climatic variations in Quaternary. The workshop themes will be land and aquatic proxies and related measurement techniques. It will also touch upon the recent advances in statistical methods and software packages. The format of this workshop will include lectures, laboratory training, and fieldwork.
Instruction to participants
- 1. The accommodation is arranged at IITM Prithvi Hall of Residence on sharing basis. There will not be any accommodation charges.
- 2. You may reimburse the travel fare equivalent of the Third AC train fare (to-and-fro) (for Research Scholars and above) and Second Class Sleeper (for students) via the shortest distance from your workplace/institute to IITM. For any other mode of transport, the reimbursement will be made only for the above fare or actual, whichever is lower. For availing travel reimbursement from the organizers, participants must produce the following:
- a. Original tickets used during commuting. In case it’s an electronic ticket a printout of the ticket with self-attestation is necessary.
- b. A valid official ID (student/scholars/employee).
- c. An undertaking from the HoD/Director/Administrative Officer stating that you are not availing the reimbursement of the travel expenses from your/other organization(s).
- d. A copy of PAN card and Aadhaar Card.
- e. Bank account details for the online transaction.
(All are mandatory, incomplete applications will not be accepted).
- 3. Food coupons for lunch, dinner and breakfast, will be provided, which can be used for the meals.
- 4. Participants should carry fully vaccinated certificate of COVID and is mandatory for attending the workshop.
- 5. Candidates with any symptoms related to COVID may kindly refrain from attending the workshop. We expect socially responsible actions from the participants in case of any symptoms related to COVID.